BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The How and Why of Cognitive Behavior Therapy


My son was going to a psychiatrist who I know for a fact had OCD issues--and believe me, I know OCD, as I live with it myself. This guy put my son, who was experiencing moderate depression and some anxiety at the time, on approximately a metric ton of unnecessary and dangerous medications. OK, a metric ton is a bit of an exaggeration, but there is no way that a normal, rational person with a moderate level of depression and anxiety without panic attacks requires Zoloft plus Lamictal plus clonazepam. Clonazepam is a really hard-core anti-seizure med. When I took it, I had a rebound effect when it wore off and had one of the worst panic attacks of my life. My blood pressure also shot up to 158/100 without my doing anything stressful or active. I read a lot about it after that and discovered how dangerous it can be.

At any rate, my son is now off all the drugs and working with a LCSW who is also a yoga master. He has learned a lot of great relaxation techniques and is in better spirits than I've seen him in a long time. The guy he is working with works with helping yourself now, not wallowing in the past. It really is a better way for many people.
About Health
Read the Article at HuffingtonPost

0 comments: