BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Explicit Condom Ad Targets Young Gay Men


I found out about this ad on The Sexist, which is where I also initially placed the following comments.
I hope it doesn't make me sound sexist to say I like it! Strangely enough, the reason is not because there is the possibility of seeing attractive men in the buff. It's because I do have a lot of gay male friends, and this sort of ad will appeal with them. Many of the older ones are involved in monogamous relationships, but the younger guys, who are the ones who might be tempted to play without protection "just this once" are the ones that are going to enjoy a production of this nature. And if it helps them think twice about using a condom and staying safe, I'm all for it.
Just thinking that young hetero guys could learn important things from this production as well. They need to think about safe sex too, and about preventing unwanted pregnancy, although of course this issue is not addressed in this video. If a guy of whatever sexual orientation views the uncensored video, it shows him how to put on a condom, which is probably something that many young men would be embarrassed to ask their family doctor. I have a twenty year old son, and I'm going to tell him about this video and see what he thinks. Honestly, I think it's too bad that it couldn't be shown to students at a high school level. This is the age at which they really need to learn this stuff, and the humorous approach could also help young gay men realize they don't need to be ashamed about their sexual orientation. There is a lot to like about this production!

0 comments: